Mayushi Malshika Jayakody is a PhD candidate at the CASS Food Research Centre at Deakin University since 2023 with her research focusing on the retention and changes of food flavour during processing and storage. The aim of her PhD is to analyse the alterations in volatile aroma compounds and flavour profile of selected food items during short-term refrigeration storage, utilizing GC-O-MS (Gas Chromatography-Olfactometry-Mass Spectrometry). Furthermore, the study seeks to understand the alteration in the flavour profile and evaluate consumer acceptance of the food after undergoing microwave-assisted thermal sterilization and experiencing prolonged storage conditions.
Prior to commencing her PhD, she completed her Master of Philosophy in Food Science and Technology at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura in Sri Lanka. Her research was focused on the application of seaweed-based edible coatings and biodegradable packages in the food industry, with the aim of developing sustainable packages using seaweed-based polysaccharides to replace non-biodegradable plastic packages used in the food industry. Additionally, she worked on developing seaweed-based food products to add value to underutilized seaweeds in Sri Lanka and promote seaweed consumption in the country. Mayushi holds a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Science and Technology from the University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
Flavour science, sensory science, food preservation, biodegradable packaging, food product development
- Jayakody, M.M., Vanniarachchy, M.P.G., and Wijesekara, I. (2022). Seaweed derived alginate, agar, and carrageenan based edible coatings and films for the food industry: a review. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 16(2), pp.1195-1227,
- Jayakody, M.M., Kaushani, K.G., Vanniarachchy, M.P.G. and Wijesekara, I. (2022). Hydrocolloid and water soluble polymers used in the food industry and their functional properties: a review. Polymer Bulletin, 80(4), pp.3585-3610, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00289-022-04264-5
- Jayakody, M. M., Vanniarachchy, M. P. G., & Wijesekara, W. L. I. (2021). Development and characterization of a seaweed snack using Ulva fasciata. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 58, 1617-1622.
- Jayakody, M.M., Vanniarachchy, M.P.G. and Wijesekara, W.L.I. (2021). Mineral Content of Selected Seaweed Varieties in Southern and North Western Sea of Sri Lanka. Vidyodaya Journal of Science, 24(01), pp. 31-37. https://doi.org/10.31357/vjs.v24i01.4963
Book Chapter publication
- Jayakody, M.M., Kaushani. K.G., and Vanniarachchy, M.P.G. (2021). Edible seaweed based biodegradable films and coatings for food and nutraceutical applications. In: Avinash Mishra (Ed) Algal Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals: Benefits, Opportunities and Challenges. Bentham Science Publishers, book chapter, 475-49. https://doi.org/10.2174/9789815051872122010021